Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I have been hearing a lot lately about the dirty dozen and clean dozen of produce. Apparently by avoiding conventional produce that appears on the dirty list and paying extra for the organic variety, you can potentially cut your intake of pesticides by nearly 90%! Hello. That is worth it to me. I have also read that buying local produce helps reduce pesticides as well since they are not shipped from across the county or South America. On the other end, the clean list includes produce that is not heavily sprayed with pesticides in general, thus making the conventional produce an OK choice.


Dirty Dozen: peaches, apples, bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, kale, lettuce, imported grapes, carrots, pears.

Clean Dozen: onions, avocado, sweet corn, pineapple, mango, asparagus, sweet peas, kiwi, cabbage, eggplant, papaya, watermelon, broccoli, tomatoes, sweet potatoes.


I made a small list of the dirty dozen and tucked it in my wallet so that when I am grocery shopping I can reference that. Three cheers for health!

1 comment:

Starr said...

millions of strawberries. strawberries for me.