Wednesday, June 8, 2011




The very first thing was I was allowed to cook on the stove without assistance was scrambled eggs. This is probably the same for most of us. This opened a window for me and made me excited about cooking and baking. I have been making my way through Julia Child's book My Life in France and have to say that I enjoy her frank and honest writing. I have yet to finish it, but am fond of what I have read so far. In the section I just finished, Julia talks about her time at Le Cordon Bleu. Each morning she and her fellow classmates (all GIs) would prepare breakfast with their instructor. While making scrambled eggs one morning Julia "whipped some eggs and cream into a froth, got the frying pan very hot, and slipped in a pat of butter, which hissed and browned in the pan". Her instructor stopped her in horror and showed her the proper procedure. He cracked two eggs and gently blended them together. He lightly greased the pan with butter and kept the heat low. He poured in the eggs and waited until an egg custard began to form. Then he gently pulled them together, "keep them a little loose; this is very important," he instructed". When the eggs are nearly done add your cream or butter. I followed these instructions and was pleased with the outcome. Even my taste tester of a husband said they were really good. I love the idea of making something as simple as scrambled eggs better and more delectable.






No comments: